Application Deadline: 09 December 2022
Vacancy no.: TASHKENT/DC/GS/2022/02
Publication date: 21 November 2022
Application deadline (midnight Moscow time): 09 December 2022
Job ID: 10241
Department: RO-Europe and Central Asia
Organization Unit: DWT/CO-Moscow
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: one year renewable, subject to funding and satisfactory conduct and performance
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Uzbekistan.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to [email protected].
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 16,927 United States Dollars yearly.
The position is assigned to the ILO Decent Work Technical Support Team and Country Office for Eastern Europe and Central Asia (DWT/CO-Moscow).
Better Work, with the support of funding from the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development and the World Bank led Multi Donor Trust Fund, is implementing a Better Work bridging programme in Uzbekistan for an initial 18 month’s period. A Memorandum of Understanding between Better Work and the national constituents has been agreed to capture commitments from all parties to ensure an enabling environment for a longer-term Better Work Programme in the country.
In line with the priorities identified in Uzbekistan’s Decent Work Country Programme, this will be done by adopting a thematic capacity building approach that caters to the identified industry needs. The funding will also be used to support national constituents to address dynamics within the textile and garment industry, focusing on how to promote a culture of compliance, more effective partnerships and sound industrial relations and how to work together collaboratively to ensure decent working condition for all actors in the country’s growing apparel industry and to attract investments from the world’s most influential brands and retailers. This Administrative and Finance Assistant position will provide support to the technical team to implement all project activities.
For more information about Better Work please see www.betterwork.org.
Better Work mobilize global brands, governments, factory owners and workers to improve working conditions, drive competitiveness and create a more equitable, more prosperous world.
As a partnership between the UN’s International Labour Organization and the World Bank Group’s International Finance Corporation, they know how to bring diverse groups together to create positive action that improves working conditions while stimulating productivity and competitiveness.
Better Work create lasting, measurable change by empowering factories to improve the working conditions in their facilities. Their assessments are the global gold standard for rigour and integrity. Their training programs and advisory services change attitudes as well as behaviours.
Through their comprehensive, university-led research, and by sharing best practices from their on-the-ground experience, they are able to shape the agenda well beyond the countries in which they work, influencing governments, brands and policy makers to make improving working conditions a top priority.
Their work and research have demonstrated – to employers, unions, global brands and governments – that improving working conditions and defending the rights of workers benefits all. They have improved the lives of more than three million workers, and millions more family members, while enhancing the profitability of their employers. There is no trade-off between better work and better business.
This position is under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme and Operations Officer based in Tashkent.
Main duties and responsibilities
The incumbent contributes to the smooth and efficient operation of the Better Work Programme by providing administrative and financial support to the Better Work Uzbekistan Team.
- Draft correspondences and provide information to interested parties contacting the programme, manage inquiries sent to business team mailbox, act as receptionist in the office and manage incoming phone calls, maintain all project administrative and financial files and records and maintain contact lists.
- Provide administrative support to businesses engaging with the Better Work programme including managing registrations, creating access to Better Work reports and e-learning platform, managing portal users and inquiries, providing guidance and troubleshooting.
- Manage invoicing for business entities, track payment, manage report subscription process required documents to facilitate payment. Provide regular summary to team. Prepare reports and monitor transactions.
- Handle arrangements for internal/external meetings and global business fora and webinars. This will require obtaining quotes, preparing costings, sending invitation letters, organising venues and accommodation, supporting travel arrangements, compiling materials and working documents, and attending meetings to ensure their smooth and efficient operations. This work includes making preparations and providing technical support to both in person and virtual events. Provide secretarial and/or administrative support for meetings, seminars and/or workshops.
- Perform liaison duties with concerned stakeholders including ministries and departments for required clearances.
- Prepare budget reports and summary to support monitoring and forecast for Business Engagement and Operations teams. Track workplan and provide summary to Operations team.
- Prepare documents for procurement of goods and services and manage all financial transactions of the programme.
- Make travel arrangements, hotel reservations and prepare travel authorization forms.
- Advise, respond, make arrangements and solve problems for the procurement, shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment.
- Maintain, update and transmit inventory records of non-expendable equipment.
- Perform any other duties which may be assigned by supervisors.
Completion of secondary school education with formal training in accounting and/or finance and administrative field or supplemented by technical or university level courses in administrative or data related fields.
Five years of progressively responsible experience in general administration, business and data support, or client service, including evidence of having successfully worked in roles which require a necessity to show considerable attention to detail.
Good command of English. Excellent knowledge of Russian and Uzbek.
- Knowledge and understanding of a complex body of financial and administrative rules, guidelines and procedures;
- Knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems;
- Good analytical skills. Ability to reason and make sound judgements;
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written and ability to work as part of a team, to cooperate, and collaborate with others;
- Excellent organization, communication and finance skills;
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, organize own schedule, perform routine work independently, meet deadlines and adapt to changing demands and multitasks;
- Ability to provide prompt and efficient responses to internal and external clients with tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to maintain very high standards of accuracy and attention to detail at all times;
- Ability to use a range of office software and acquire new skills when needed;
- Ability to prepare basic reports and to draft correspondence in English;
- Ability to work with confidential material and maintain high standards of ethical conduct;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Applicants can only attach one document to their application. This should include a cover letter and must also include a 2-page statement addressing their claims against the above competencies. In doing this you should have a heading for each competency and explain in 2 -3 paragraphs to the selection committee how your skills and experience show that you meet these. Applicants who do not attach this statement will not be considered for interview.
Better Work, as part of the ILO, values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities.
For more information, please contact [email protected]
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org