Factory Service Update
- July 2021: All 42 Better Work Ethiopia-registered factories are operational.
- Health, maintenance and sanitation workers have been trained in sanitation and disinfection skills to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Since May 2020, the programme has re-designed different training topics to fit into virtual sessions. New trainings have been designed and delivered on Covid-19 OSH mitigation, Business Continuity Planning (BCP) and recovery, grievance handling, sexual harassment, and labour inspections to help enterprises and the government to prevent and cope with COVID-19.
- In addition, legal briefs on frequently asked questions on implementation of the labour law in view of Covid-19 and suspension and reduction of the work force have been shared with partners.
- Seven rounds of virtual training sessions on Covid-19 awareness and financial literacy have been delivered to factories at Bole Lemi and Hawassa Industry Park and local factories working in Addis Ababa and Adama city. A total of 117 participants attended these trainings.
Additional Better Work Activities
- Community outreach has been conducted through print and mass media, virtual and awareness-raising videos and trainings, signage and brochures.
- The Better Work Ethiopia programme, in consultation with key partners, has produced educational materials in the form of videos and audio to provide comprehensive information about COVID-19 to workers and managers. These materials prepared in Amharic are four-part and address critical issues and questions by workers about the pandemic. In addition to these, Better Work has facilitated Q&A discussions with medical professionals and shared testimonial videos of COVID-19 patients to recognize important lessons learned about prevention and quarantine.
- The programme “Covid-19 Disinfection Training” was designed and conducted for 14 factories in Bole Lemi and Hawassa Industrial Parks. The training capacitated 86 disinfecting teams on practical cleaning and disinfection skills for Covid-19. The training was conducted with the approach of on-the-job training at the premises of the two parks. A total of 331,494 Meter Square size of production floors were disinfected in the two parks.